- February 12, 2014
- Posted by: STEP Consulting
- Category: Case Study
By Terence Traut, Entelechy, Inc.
Abstract: Despite billions spent on leadership development, the investment doesn’t seem to be having the impact one would expect. This may be due to the lack of traction these programs typically have when it comes to lasting behavior change. This updated white paper provides 23 lessons that will help increase the likelihood that the skills learned in a leadership development program will “stick” and be used on the job.
How do you make your leadership development program stick? Here is a snapshot of the 23 lessons we’ve learned over 23 years:
Executive Support and Organizational Buy-In
- Get a senior-level champion.
- Align the program with organizational goal.
- Get broad-based buy-in.
- Ensure that senior leaders have the capability to model and reinforce the skills.
- Make it simple.
- Make it relevant – VERY relevant.
- When in doubt, leave it out.
- Face-to-face or virtual or self-paced?